Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh may have tried to dodge several questions during his Senate hearing over Christine Blasey Ford‘s sexual abuse testimony, but he couldn’t escape the dozens of protesters who gathered in Washington, D.C., on Thursday ahead of a planned confirmation vote.
The number of women who were demonstrating against Kavanaugh went to show that many of them were seeing themselves in Ford’s shoes. They were mothers and daughters as well as sexual assault survivors and supporters. They carried signs in support of Ford, the college professor whose story has struck a chord with millions in the nation. They sent messages about believing survivors and stopping Kavanaugh.
Ford, like Anita Hill, had supporters’ attention as she readied herself for tough questions from both Rachel Mitchell, the Arizona prosecutor chosen by Republicans, and senators. Many people had watched Hill’s 1991 sexual harassment testimony about Clarence Thomas who was later confirmed to the Supreme Court. Americans have drawn comparisons between the two women and their hearings but also recognized the differences in their stories.
Though America was watching Kavanaugh’s supporters who also made their way to the hearing, activists for Ford were standing strong. Here are photos from their protest.
1. Protesters Demonstrate Against KavanaughSource:Getty
A woman became emotional while listening to stories of sexual violence at the protest.
2. Protesters Support FordSource:Getty
Demonstrators gathered outside the Supreme Court.
3. Believe WomenSource:Getty
Demonstrators put tape over their mouths in a powerful moment.
4. Protesters Stand UpSource:Getty
Protesters wrote messages on their hands.
5. Protesters Show Their PowerSource:Getty
Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren took a photo with demonstrators.
6. Protesters Show Their StrengthSource:Getty
Demonstraters raised their hands in support of Ford.
7. Strength In NumbersSource:Getty
Protestors gathered in the Hart Senate Office Building during the hearing.
8. Protesters UniteSource:Getty
Protestors leaned on one another.
9. Demonstraters MarchSource:Getty
Demonstrators also gathered with signs outside.
10. Protesters Raise Their VoicesSource:Getty
Demonstrators shouted in support of Ford.
11. Protesters Not Backing DownSource:Getty
Protestors rallied against Kavanaugh, sending a strong message.
12. Protesters Won’t StopSource:Getty
Activists had something to say.
13. Protesters Raise Their HandsSource:Getty
Demonstrators seemingly held silent protests as well.
14. Protesters Are Taking A StandSource:Getty
There were dozens of protesters against Kavanaugh’s confirmation.
15. Protesters Make A StatementSource:Getty
Protestors who gathered in the Hart Senate Office Building were ready.