Today Angela Bassett is an ageless 61 years old. She is a living embodiment of Black not cracking and continues to make our jaws drop.
For decades, Bassett has used her artistry to bring the narratives of strong Black women to film and television. Some of her most pivotal roles were in films that include “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” “Boyz ‘N the Hood,” “Malcolm X,” “Black Panther” and countless other projects. Her fabulousness is so epic that this year she received an Honorary Doctor of Arts degree.
Below is her latest photo on her Instagram:
Back in 2017, Bassett said about aging, “Even though people tell me I’m impervious to aging, I’m not. The scale isn’t going down the way it used to. It used to be easier, even as much as a year ago.” She continued, “We check ourselves out in the mirror every day, we see the changes but you have to just do the best for yourself more often than not.”
She also added, “I’ll say to my glam team, ‘I have great arms, you might want to show that!’ I believe we all have something—great legs, beautiful hair—so find your something, be proud of it, and accentuate it.”
She also said back in October, “As we advance, 60 is the new 40, or 70 is the new 50. It keeps getting pushed.”
And one word of advice for aging, “You have to keep the stress down and the attitude hot.” Can’t argue with that.
See some gorgeous photos of Bassett below:
1. Then: Angela Bassett in 1990.Source:false
2. Now: Cheek bones on 100. Angela Bassett today.Source:false
3. Then: 26 years ago. Yes, you read that correctly.Source:false
4. Now: She’s even mastered the look away.Source:false
5. Then: 2006.Source:false
6. Now: Still slaying the carpet.Source:false
7. Then: 10 years ago.Source:false
8. Now: Angela attends the Golden Globes.Source:false
9. Then: 2008.Source:false
10. Now: Look back at it.Source:false
12. Then: 2009.Source:Getty
(Photo by JIMI CELESTE/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)